First off if your gonna lay down some cash this season and go for the whole hog…why not get the biker in your life what they truely desire…a new bike.
Here are few of my favorite bike shops in town, not just for bikes but bike accessories as well.
Support your local bike shop…(not in any order)
1. King Kog -Gina runs a nice boutique in
Williamsburg Brooklyn, selling track frames, original fashion, bags, hats and
fixed gear parts. Oh yeah and cool wheels from Aerospoke. 38 Marcy Ave, Brooklyn NY. 11211. *646-327-2586
2. Track Star -Brad and his bike polo
crew have a fairly new space in Manhattan selling clothes, bikes and
style..231 Eldridge St. NYC 10002 *212-982-2553
3. the Bicycle Doctor Always been good to me and my bike, Alex has a shop on Grand Street. Bianchi bikes for sale and more. 133 Grand St. Brookyln, NY 11211 *718-302-3145
4. NYC BIKES Will put together a bike anyway you like, fixed, cruiser, singlespeed. Friendly service. 140 Havemeyer,
5. Continuum Cycles Website not up yet, but Jeff and his crew have a nice shop on Ave. B in Manhattan Velocity Nation did a nice little piece on them. They give discounts to NYC messengers, are involved in the scene and know there shit. 199 Ave. B.
6. Bike Works What can you say about Dave and Bike works…part shop, part bike museum, part biycle cultral archivist. Long running shop, great service and a real part of the community. 106 Ridge Street, NYC 10002 *212-388-1077
7. Recycle a Bicycle Bike shop and non-profit. RAB, is a program that teaches urban youth bicycle mechanics. The sell used bikes with all proceeds going to the program. By a bike and feel good about it too. Two bike shop locations: 35 Pearl Street in DUMBO brooklyn and 75 Ave. C. in Manhattan. They also have holiday gift certificates.
8. Bicycle Habitat Some of the RAB kids have gone one to be mechanics and sales people at this shop thats been in NYC for over 30 years. They sell bicycles, locks, and Ortleib messenger bags…my favorite. 244 Lafayette Street. *212-431-3315 Right now you can help with:
Please join us in supporting the 5000 Bikes Campaign for Project Zambia, a World Bicycle Relief program that provides bikes, spare parts and technical training for volunteer healthcare workers in this impoverished area. Donations can completely transform the life of the person who gets a bicycle and help contribute to Africa’s recovery, too. Learn how you can help here.
9. City Bikes 315 west 35th St. New York, NY 10013 *toll free 866-520-4962.
B-bikes 262 Driggs ave Brooklyn ny 11222 (williamsburg)
and Franks Bike shop 553 Grand St. in the Lower East Side. (NYC)
For cool original cycling hats and gear check out:
courier kit.com all products made by messengers and former messengers with urban bikers in mind.
for Chuey Brand, also sold at KingKog…check out the myspace page.
Then who could forget the awesome utility belts of Carrie Collins over at Fabrichorse.
Other gift ideas:
Amy Bolger made a photo book this year documenting 10 years of all alleycat racing…
available for $20.00 at Cycle Hawk
Magazine Subscription to Urban Velo magazine. 6 issues for $18.00 to get a great zine on bike culture from Brad and Jeff in Pittsburgh. (From the November issue, I got a lot of these ideas)
Bike Magazine is also a great culture source, mostly for downhill racing and MT bikes, but they do good stories on great biking events like the bicycle film festival and messenger races.
If you are going to get someone a bike this year, consider these
2) Johnny Coast (brooklyn)
3) A.N.T. (MA)
4) Jacob bicycles (Boston)
5) Affinity Cycles (brooklyn) Track and road frames
6) Villian cycles (Florida)
7) Bilenky awesome Tandems and cargo bikes.
8) Geek house
9) Brooklyn Machine works
10) Ahren bicycles
11) Independent Fabrications (MA) expensive but custom made, one-of a kind and made in the USA.
Bike lights make great gifts:
Ahearne cycles who also makes bike frames in Portland, makes this beautiful engraved flask and holder.
or a Titanium 15mm wrench and bottle opener from paragon Machine works only $24.00 what a great gift.
How bout frame pads:
made in LA.
More cool clothes at:
and, now this is great…
zapin the cars baby… analog forest
Cool fashions and frame pads from:
2 people I wanted to give special props too:
(not necessarily bike related, but you’ll look cool on your bike in their threads)
headhoods awesome hoodies, made in Brooklyn.
Great t-shirts at Busted Tees
More gift ideas coming, including all the hot messenger bag makers…stay tuned.