Another superstar courier champ from DC, Meredith wanted to add some more info about places and things to see for bikers coming to the inauguration alleycat and some other event having something to do with some guy named Obama.
here are her picks: (in red-in her own words)
Best Bar (s) to hang out in DC?
Best Bike Shop?
uh… I don’t buy stuff from bike shops but i’ve heard about a new one in Georgetown called Lifecycle that has a coffee shop and maybe even some gym equipment?
My neighborhood shop is City Bikes in Adams Morgan
Best place to get a bite?
Asylum (vegan and omnivores welcome)
Good Paths to Bike to see DC?
Most of Beach Drive is closed to vehicular traffic on the weekends
There is also a trail in Rock Creek Park but it can be pretty slow moving (not very wide and a lot of walkers, etc) It is pretty nice though once you get down toward the Lincoln Memorial
Capital Crescent starts under the Whitehurst Frwy at the end of K St. in Georgetown. It goes out to Bethesda.
Georgetown Branch trail connects Bethesda to Silver Spring I believe. We’re eventually gonna have a bicycle beltway!
Mt. Vernon trail (Virginia but great views across the river to DC)
W&OD trail (in Virginia)
Sligo Creek trail (in Maryland)
In construction is a new bike station next to Union Station. Also the start of a new path called the Metro Branch Trail. Some of it is complete but not all and I don’t know what is and what is not.
Bike Blogs or Resources?
Rock Creek Park: http://www.nps.gov/archive/rocr/home.htm
Here is a link to a map I add stuff to every now and then:
It doesn’t have all that much stuff on it but I believe some of the links above have trails, etc.
Sites to see in DC by Bike?
ALL of them!
Rock Creek Park
The Wharf — fish markets on the water front in Southwest
Water St. Southeast btwn 11st se and M st se. I like it down there. The S. Cap. bridge has a pretty nice view from what I remember.
Other cool Hang Outs?
uhhh…. 9 am on the weekends outside of Madams Organ/Tryst. Couriers (old and not so old) gather for morning coffee.
Best place for Bike Perverts to hang out?
Anything else you want to say about biking in DC.
The roads are wider than many other cities so the cars often driver faster.
The structure/street set-up is pretty straightforward (in general):
-4 quadrants with the Capitol as the center. NW, NE, SE, SW
– North Capital St runs straight north of the Capitol
– South Capital St runs striaght south of the Capitol
-East Capital runs straight east of the Capitol
– There is no West Capital but the National Mall runs straight west with the Lincoln Memorial on the other end.
- Letter streets travel east/west
- Number streets travel north/south
- States are avenues going on angles
- Numbers and letters go up further you are from the Capitol
- address #s (Civic #) are relative to the block you’re on. For example, 1350 K St. is btwn 13th and 14th st. K St. is the 1000 block so 1225 15th St would be between M and N St.
- There is no J St. (had to do with some kind of rivalry in the old days)
- Once you finish letter streets going north, the streets are in alphabetical order. Goes through alphabet with 2 syllable words and then through again with 3 syllable words. Generally.
Photos from bikingforobama on flickr.
Meanwhile, 22 year old Ryan Bowen, decided to be in DC for Obama by riding his bicycle over 3000 miles from LA.
check out his journey here.
and more on Cyclists preparations for Obama in news story.