The NY Bike Jumble exhibit called: “Strong Backs, Weak Minds. The Story of the Coney Island Velodrome,” is coming to an end. To celebrate, there is going to be a ride out to the former site of the track…Coney.
Here is more details:
Please join us for a mellow bicycle ride from the Old Stone House to the former site of the Coney Island Velodrome. and then for a reception back at the Old Stone House.
Riders will meet at 1PM, in front of the Old Stone House in JJ Byrne/Washington Park and will return at 4pm. The ride will go along as many Brooklyn Greenways as possible, as a tribute to Brooklyn Greenway, a sponsor of the exhibit. A reception will be held from 4pm to 6pm at which visitor can see the exhibit as well as nibble on the refreshments that will be served.
The Coney Island Velodrome was opened on July 19th 1930, as the world slipped towards Depression and War. Already, the popularity of cycling, having peaked in the early 1920â€™s, was waning and the construction of a 10,000 seat bicycle racing arena was an act of supreme optimism. Regardless, the track soldiered on as the last velodrome in America to offer the thrills and chills of motor paced racing, where the riders would race behind motorcycles to attain speeds in excess of 50 miles per hour.
The exhibit features actual bikes that were raced on the track, as well as photos, programs, tickets and other ephemera, including a special â€˜Stayerâ€™ bike for motor paced racing as well as New York built track bikes from long forgotten builders such as Alvin Drysdale.
Sunday June 27, 2010
Ride: 1 -4 PM
Reception 4 -6PM
Old Stone House
336 3rd Street
Brooklyn, NY 11215
Please visit nybikejumble.com for more info.