article by: Brad Fried More than two dozen students braved 32-degree cold this Sunday for the launch of NYU’s bike-share program. The ride took them down Second Avenue and over the Manhattan Bridge to see some of Brooklyn’s new bike lanes.
The NYU system consists of 30 bikes and two stations — a dorm at 7th street and a bike parking lot behind Tisch Hall. Lindsi Seegmiller, the student who coordinated much of the program, says she got the bikes almost-new from Hub Station, which used them for free rentals during Summer Streets. To borrow one, students or faculty make a reservation online. Then at the station they swipe their NYU ID, opening a cabinet that holds the key to a chain lock attached to the bike they reserved.
In May, Seegmiller told Streetsblog that she hopes the program will expand and get the University, which runs its own bus service, to think more about biking.
Count up-and-coming livable streets advocates like Seegmiller as one reason to be thankful this year. What’s on your “I’m thankful for/I’d be more thankful if” list? Enjoy the holiday, we’ll see you Monday.
C.I.C.L.E. 3rd annual Holiday Toys and Mittens Ride.
Financial times are tough for many, but through the power of community, we CAN make a difference.
A holiday bike ride to collect toys and warm clothing for families in need. Benefits Hathaway-Sycamores Child and Family Services
Saturday December 13, 2008 :: 11:00 AM
Meet at Mission Gold Line Station in South Pasadena
905 Meridian Av., South Pasadena 91030
Bring a new unwrapped toy or article of warm clothing. Donated gifts will support Hathaway-Sycamores Child and Family Services.
Come dressed in your finest holiday duds with decorated bicycles and get a chance to win fabulous prizes!
Holiday tunes played from C.I.C.L.E.â€™s on-board sound system will fill the air as we wind through scenic South Pasadena on a short five-mile ride that will make stops at pre-placed collection boxes to retrieve donations with cargo bikes and bike trailers.
People that cannot attend the ride may deliver their donation(s) to these participating merchants through December 12.
Papa Don’s Deli — 303 Pasadena Ave., South Pasadena (626) 799-8397
The Munch Company –1028 Mission St., South Pasadena (626) 441-1036
Nicole’s Gourmet Foods — 921 Meridian Ave. Unit B, South Pasadena (626) 403-5751
This ride is part of C.I.C.L.E.â€™s Urban Expeditions ride series, and is a great way for the beginning or novice cyclist to experience all of the joys of city bicycling in a relaxed and carefree environment. Participants 18 and younger are required to wear a helmet and must be escorted by a parent or guardian. Children 9 and younger should be on a tag-a-long, bike trailer, tandem, or other safe child-carrying device. This ride is free to all, and fully supported. For more information call 323.478.0060.
Visit www.cicle.org or call 323.478.0060 for more information
The law lords throw out what they saw as an attempt by Scotland Yard to ban a monthly bike-ride through the streets of London.
By Joshua Rozenberg
Last Updated: 12:01PM GMT 26 Nov 2008
There is no need for the organizers of a mass cycle ride to give the police notice of their planned destination when there are no organizers and the destination is unplanned, the law lords ruled today.
Englandâ€™s highest court allowed an appeal by Desmond Kay, an environmental educator and performing artist who is a regular participant in the monthly Critical Mass Cycle Ride. For the background, see my earlier report here.
Michael Fordham QC, for Mr Kay, had challenged a ruling by the Court of Appeal that would have allowed the Metropolitan Police to ban the ride, as one of the law lords put it. Lord Brown said he had referred to it as a ban even though the police said they wanted only to know where the riders would be going.
Friday, November 28th, is the the Buy Nothing Day Dance Party in Union Square followed by
the Critical Mass Bike Ride all over the WORLD!!
Traditionally, the day after Thanksgiving is the biggest shopping day of the year…but seeing as we gave Wall Street the biggest present of them all, bailing them out for stealing all our money…I say we BUY NOTHING.
Buy Nothing Day 2008: Dance Your Debt Away!
Free dance party at Union Square Park NYC
Friday, November 28, 2008 3:00pm – 5:30pm
Followed by Buy Nothing Day Critical Mass 7 PM at Union Square Park
Well its been hard to update this blog with Junior in my arms. Trying to learn how to type with one hand is a whole new skill set. I barely have time to sleep…nah, I don’t have time for that either. So I’ll be looking at the other blogs for now.
Just to keep something going:
John Dinn over at Les DemonCats, in D.C.
was going through his spoke card collection the other day and compiled this list of his favorite alleycats…
recognize any of these?
(the one’s in Red are the races he’s organized)
1. May 13, 2000- Mayhem 2000- Washington DC
2. 2000- The Race with No Name- Washington DC
3. May 28, 2001- Mayhem Weekend- Washington DC
4. May 25, 2002- Mayhem Weekend stage 1, Richmond
5. May 26, 2002- Mayhem Weekend stage 2, Washington DC
6. May 27, 2002- Mayhem Weekend stage 3, Baltimore
7. August 24, 2002- The Warriors- NYC- I got the tattoo!
8. May 24-25, 2003- Mayhem Weekend Extravaganza- Washington DC
9. August 03, 2003- Assassins- Washington DC
10. January 3, 2004- The Baltimore Bender- Baltimore
11. March 13, 2004-Beware! The Ides of March-Richmond
12. April 3, 2004- 4th April Fools Race- Philadelphia
13. May 28, 2004- Baltimore Blowout – Triple Crown- Baltimore
14. May 29, 2004- Mayhem- Triple Crown- Washington DC
15. May 30, 2004- Richmond Triple Crown- Richmond
16. July 3, 2004- Rumble Thru The Bronx- NYC
17. October 23, 2004- Screw Bush- Washington DC
18. December 16, 2004- Fist Fulla Dollars- Baltimore
19. January 15, 2005- Late Night Frost Bite- Washington DC
20. March 12, 2005- Poker Race- Washington DC
21. March 26, 2005- Ides of March Alleycat- Richmond
22. April 9, 2005- 5th April Fool’s Alleycat- Philadelphia
23. April 23, 2005- Crazy Backwards Alleycat- DC
24. April 30, 2005- Itâ€™s a mad, mad, mad, mad W.orld!!!- Washington DC
25. May 28, 2005- Bega’s Bike Jam 2005 Courier Road Race- Baltimore
26. May 28, 2005- Holy Mayhem!- D.C. Mayhem Alleycat- Washington DC
27. June 18, 2005- Bragging Rights- Washington DC
28. July 3, 2005- CMWC05- NYC
29. July 5, 2005- King of the Fucking Streets- NYC
30. July 9, 2005- Courier Gangbang- Baltimore
31. July 30, 2005- Elvis Race- DC
32. September 10, 2005- Let the Fall Begin- Washington DC
33. September24, 2005- Hustler!- DC (Winner!)
34. October 15, 2005- I see Dead People!!!- Pre-Halloween Alleycat â€“ Washington DC
35. October 22, 2005- Polo Express Alleycat- Philadelphia
36. October 29, 2005- Frankenstein- Richmond
37. November 5, 2005- The Rat Race- Baltimore
38. November 6, 2005- Rolling POTluck Alleycat- Washington DC
39. November 19, 2005- The Simpsons Jeopardy Alleycat- Washington DC
40. December 3, 2005- The Rico Suave Alleycat- Benefit for Rico Palacios- Washington DC
41. January 14, 2006- Late Night Frostbite 2- DC
42. February 18, 2006- Shock Trauma- Baltimore
43. February 25, 2006- Schlitz and Giggles- Boston
44. March 11, 2006- 12 Monkeys- Philadelphia
45. April 1, 2006- 6th April Fools Race- Philadelphia
46. May 27, 2006- Ghetto Blaster III- Baltimore
47. June 17, 2006- Rumble Through The Bronx III- NYC
48. July 22, 2006- Le Tour de LeMond- Washington DC
49. January 27, 2007- The Hour of Power- Philadelphia
50. February 10, 2007- Man Overboard- Washington DC
51. March 3, 2007- The Dude Abides- Boston
52. March 17, 2007- The Ides of Mario- Richmond
53. April 4, 2007- Destination Dublin 2- Washington DC
54. April 14, 2007- 7th April Fool’s Race- Philadelphia
55. April 21, 2007- Destination Dublin 3 Liquid Assets- Washington DC
56. April 29, 2007- Destination Dublin 4 GoldSprints- Washington DC
57. May 4, 2007- Destination Dublin 5 Mapper’s Delight- Washington DC
58. May 30, 2007- Destination Dublin 6 Rough News Time Trial- Washington DC
59. June 2, 2007- Destination Dublin 7 Grand Finalleycat (Winner!)- Washington DC
60. June 23, 2007- Hey Riders!- Baltimore
61. July 14, 2007- â€œLe Tour de Simpson- Washington DC
62. August 23, 2007- Race of Pain- Washington DC
63. September 15, 2007- Queens Riot- NYC
64. October 6, 2007- Viva El Che! Alleycat- Washington DC
65. October 13, 2007- Behind Bars- Washington DC
66. April 26, 2008- PoloCat- Washington DC
67. October 16, 2008- True Blue Alleycat- Washington DC
68. November 1, 2008- OBAMAlleycat- Washington DC
Nice work John. Hey in all your free time, why not scan all the spoke cards so we can see them…I’m sure that wouldn’t take long.